Are your weekends packed with events, to-do lists and family obligations? Do you find it difficult to stay on track when it comes to your health and fitness goals?
Here are our top 8 tips on how you can have a healthier weekend starting this Friday!
1) Eat Like You Do During the Week: Don’t let a busy weekend derail your nutrition plan. Continue to eat the way you do during the work week and keep your momentum moving forward.
2) Workout First Thing in the Morning: By working out first thing in the morning you get it out of the way without risking your schedule causing conflict. Plus, it starts your day off on the right foot by releasing endorphins into your system and creating a feeling of happiness!
3) Make Sure to Relax: Rest and recovery are just as important to a balanced routine as nutrition and exercise. Make sure to find some time to wind-down and relax. Take a yoga class or meditate for 30 minutes a day.
4) Get Enough Sleep: Research has shown that sleeping between 6-8 hours a night has positive impacts on your overall health, everything from lower BMI to reduced risk for cardiovascular disease.
5) Prepare for the Week Ahead: Spend some time on Sunday going through your upcoming week, including all events (work and family) and make a plan for meals and workouts. Whip up some easy grab and go items (protein balls, egg white cups) so that you always have something healthy on hand when you are hungry.
6) Order Smart when Going Out: Salads loaded with veggies (skip the creamy dressings/croutons etc), broth based soups, grilled lean meats and complex carbs are the way to go.
7) Do Something Active: heading out for a date with your significant other or a group of friends? Try something active. Go for a hike, take a spin class or even go bowling. Anything to keep you moving.
8) Don’t Show Up Hungry: eat a small balanced meal or snack before heading to those weekend parties. You’ll be able to avoid the appetizer bar and avoid excess calories.
Christy and Rachael